APPLICATIONS HAVE CLOSED
Interested in applying for the North America Leadership Tour 2019? Start by downloading and reading through our application pack here NALT Delegate Application PackDelegate Application Pack. The application pack contains important information about the trip and provides answers to the most frequently asked questions.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
The Co-Directors want to build a diverse and balanced delegation. They are looking for a variety of things: students who would benefit from the trip, who would work well with the rest of the delegation, who are high achievers at university or leaders within their communities, who would represent UN Youth and New Zealand well at HNMUN, and who have the potential to give back to UN Youth and New Zealand upon return from the trip. However, the most important quality we seek is a genuine interest in the educational content of the tour.
We encourage applications from talented tertiary students who demonstrate the following qualities:
- Passion: A genuine interest in foreign affairs
- Strong communication skills: The ability to convey thoughts effectively and listen to others
- Resilience: Strength to handle the challenges of the US Leadership Tour.
In addition, Model UN experience would be beneficial, but is not necessary.
To be eligible for the tour, applicants must:
- Be at least 18 years of age when the delegation departs New Zealand on 22 January 2019;
- Be a New Zealand university student at the time of travel;
- Be ordinarily resident in New Zealand;
- Hold a current passport that will expire at least six months after the completion of the tour; and
- Have no criminal convictions.
The application process is broken into three parts. Applicants should note that this process is very competitive. The Co-Directors recommend starting early to ensure you have sufficient time to prepare your application.
Stage One: Written Application
A written application and supporting documents must be completed below by 11.59pm on Sunday 19 August 2018.
Stage Two: Interview
Shortlisted applicants will be invited for a 30-minute interview with the Co-Directors via Google Hangouts. Interviews will be held either on the weekend of 26-27 August or 2-3 September 2018. You are expected to make yourself available during this period at a time agreed between you and the Co-Directors.
Stage Three: Offer
Successful applicants from the interview round will be offered a place on the delegation.
Your written application must include:
- Personal details form;
- Scanned copy of your current passport;
- Official/Unofficial Academic Transcript (if possible);
- Curriculum vitae (CV) of no more than two pages;
- Cover letter addressed to the Co-Directors of no more than 800-1000 word. The cover letter must answer the following questions. You should aim to write approximately the same amount for each question:
- What motivated you to apply for the North America Leadership Tour 2018?
- What skills and strengths would you bring to the tour? Please use examples from positions of responsibility, achievements, awards and/or extracurricular activities.
- What do you think you will gain from being a delegate on the tour?
The Co-Directors will be selecting a Head Delegate for the North America Leadership Tour to provide leadership within the delegation. The role involves assisting the Co-Directors in preparing the delegation for Harvard National Model United Nations. This includes creating research guides, running training sessions and editing position papers/draft resolutions. The ideal Head Delegate will have significant Model UN experience.
If you would like to be considered for the role of Head Delegate, please answer the following two questions in no more than 400 words at the end of your cover letter. This will be in addition to the two pages dedicated to answering the three questions listed above:
- Why do you think you would be an effective Head Delegate?
- How would you make a fellow member of the delegation, who had no Model UN experience, feel comfortable at the conference and make the most out of their committee?
Any application that is not completed in full will not be accepted.
Applications must be received by 11.59pm on Sunday 19 August 2018. Late applications will not be considered.
The decision of the Co-Directors is final. The Co-Directors will reply to unsuccessful applicants with feedback upon request via email.
If you have any questions related to the North America Leadership Tour, please feel free to contact the Co- Directors at firstname.lastname@example.org.
APPLICATIONS HAVE CLOSEDPlease login to continue.