UN Youth New Zealand (we, us, our) complies with the New Zealand Privacy Act 1993 (the Act) when dealing with personal information. Personal information is information about an identifiable individual (a natural person).
This policy sets out how we will collect, use, disclose and protect your personal information.
This policy does not limit or exclude any of your rights under the Act. If you wish to seek further information on the Act, see www.privacy.org.nz.
Changes to this policy
We may change this policy by uploading a revised policy onto the website. The change will apply from the date that we upload the revised policy.
Who do we collect your personal information from
We collect personal information about you from:
- you, when you provide that personal information to us, including via the website and any related service, through any registration or subscription process, through any contact with us (e.g. telephone call or email), when you attend our events or participate in our activities, or when you buy our use our services and products
- third parties where you have authorised this or the information is publicly available.
If possible, we will collect personal information from you directly.
You may visit the website anonymously. We will collect personal information from you only if you voluntarily submit such information to us. It is never compulsory for you to supply personal information in order to visit the website. However, if you choose not to provide certain information, it may prevent you from engaging in certain activities related to us and the website.
How we use your personal information
We will use your personal information:
- to verify your identity
- to provide services and activities to you
- to market our services and activities to you, including contacting you electronically (e.g. by text or email for this purpose)
- to improve the services and activities that we provide to you
- to bill you and to collect money that you owe us, including authorising and processing credit card transactions
- to respond to communications from you, including a complaint
- to conduct research and statistical analysis (on an anonymised basis)
- to protect and/or enforce our legal rights and interests, including defending any claim
- for any other purpose authorised by you or the Act.
Disclosing your personal information
We may disclose your personal information to:
- any business, organisation, trusted affiliate or agency that supports our services and activities, including any person that hosts or maintains any underlying IT system or data centre that we use to provide the website or other services and products
- the teacher contact or liaison at your school
- other third parties (for anonymised statistical information)
- a person who can require us to supply your personal information (e.g. a regulatory authority)
- any other person authorised by the Act or another law (e.g. a law enforcement agency)
- any other person authorised by you.
A business that supports our services and products is located outside New Zealand. This means your personal information is held and processed outside New Zealand.
UN Youth also agrees to share information with the New Zealand Youth Global Awareness Trust, for the purpose of contacting past alumni when necessary.
Protecting your personal information
We will take reasonable steps to keep your personal information safe from loss, unauthorised activity, or other misuse.
Accessing and correcting your personal information
Subject to certain grounds for refusal set out in the Act, you have the right to access your readily retrievable personal information that we hold and to request a correction to your personal information. Before you exercise this right, we will need evidence to confirm that you are the individual to whom the personal information relates.
In respect of a request for correction, if we think the correction is reasonable and we are reasonably able to change the personal information, we will make the correction. If we do not make the correction, we will take reasonable steps to note on the personal information that you requested the correction.
If you want to exercise either of the above rights, email us at email@example.com. Your email should provide evidence of who you are and set out the details of your request (e.g. the personal information, or the correction, that you are requesting).
We may charge you our reasonable costs of providing to you copies of your personal information or correcting that information.
While we take reasonable steps to maintain secure internet connections, if you provide us with personal information over the internet, the provision of that information is at your own risk.